Hot answers tagged

7

The mercury found in a thermometer is elemental mercury. It is poorly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. However, the greatest problem with it is that, apart from ingestion, there can be another route of exposure without noticing. Elemental mercury easily evaporates on room temperature, and these vapours can be inhaled. In this form Hg is liposoluble ...


5

Call the emergency services or the anti-poisoning centre right away. Don't waste your time looking for effects on the internet. Keep calm, and: Tell your name, phone number, location, Tell this is for a poisoning, and tell the victim's gender and age Tell what was swallowed, how, how much and how long ago Don't hang up the phone before instructed to do so ...


4

Fomepizole is indeed the preferred treatment for methanol and ethylene glycol poisoning, but ethanol can be used if fomepizole is not available. Some doctors/ hospitals will treat alcohol withdrawal with alcohol (or at least did fairly recently), but everywhere I've worked uses benzodiazepines or similar medications to treat it. I am not aware of any other ...


4

We can't diagnose your friend on the internet; only her doctors can do that. Guesses are good in game shows; in medicine, it helps to have more to base a diagnosis on. You are correct that acute iron toxicity (for example, from children eating iron-containing vitamins because they are candy-like) can result in coma. But to my knowledge (and I have seen and ...


2

This could be many, many different things, common causes include neck problems, migraines can be brought on by stress and/or trigger foods, dehydration and skipped meals, anxiety about receiving food brought by others could also be a big trigger. High blood pressure can also cause regular headaches, and it can be a side-effect of medications and caused bby ...


1

Lead paint was banned because it leads directly to lead poisoning by contact rather than inhalation, which can arguably be considered slower and 'less' of a risk.1 Children often place toys in their mouths, which, especially if the toy is painted with lead paint, is obvious harmful. Wikipedia says the paint also flakes and forms dust which is then inhaled.2 ...


1

FDA data https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm199525.htm suggests there is increased migration of melamine into food at temps above 160'F but seems to take time to accumulate. The level that leads to toxicity is estimated through risk assessment. It seems toxicity is rare but can be severe: Products with melamine contamination above the ...


1

Sorry, not even close to the first to be that intoxicated and survive with no medical attention. Probably about 100 million people before him over the last 10,000 years got even drunker and survived just fine without medical attention. If by "a bottle" you mean a 750 ml bottle and he drank half, or 375 ml of it, then he drank about 8.5 "shots" (a standard ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible