Hot answers tagged

13

There are a couple concerns with eating food with mold on it: The growth of mold implies that microbial contaminants can grow on the food, which means there is a potential for spoilage even if the mold itself isn't pathogenic. The mold itself can cause health problems. The USDA recommends discarding molded bread, as a "bit of mold" that is visible likely ...


5

Although the initial question seems crazy enough from the start, the preamble to this answer has to make it clear that you should not use a water boiler with tea – or anything else but water – in it. This answer has to assume that the question is about: only green tea or plain water used directly in the boiler. Doubting that there are really people so much ...


4

Molds, fungus and yeasts produce mycotoxin, a toxic chemical which can cause both acute and chronic health effects via ingestion, skin contact or inhalation2012. The danger associated with exposure depends on the type of mycotoxin, concentration and length of exposure as well as exposed individual (age, health and sex)2003. In same rare cases can be even ...


4

Yes, it's certainly possible that there is mold or other agents in the building that can be either causing or contributing to allergy and fatigue symptoms. Here is a writeup on what is called sick building syndrome (SBS) from National Health in the UK. Here is a writeup on various agents that can cause the same symptoms from a doctor's blog. There is a ...


3

Not only are they moldy, it looks like they've also been damaged by moisture. See how the surface is rippled in spots? That's what water does to pills. Bathrooms are the worst place to store medicines because of the heat and humidity from showers and bathtubs. No, the medicine is not safe to use despite being within the expiration date (see same link ...


3

"Chronic inflammatory response syndrome" (CIRS) is a new term for what was (and still is) known as sick building syndrome or building-related illness. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis seems to be a similar condition. Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) According to how National Integrated Health Associates (NIHA) describes symptoms of CIRS, the ...


1

I agree with the answers on cleaning and the type of bottle/cork/lid. Another thing you should consider is that residue from your saliva may be what smells bad. Try leaving the freshly-cleaned bottle filled with your usual water out for a day without drinking from it and see if there is any odor, in which case it might be your water source. Then try ...


1

Plastic bottles work just fine. When buying sparkling water (I'm German), they come in plastic bottles and never get this taste of old shoe soles, and I haven't had any problems with bacteria either. In your case, the cork could be a problem, as was pointed out before. I personally have made the experience that water in steel bottles always tastes a bit ...


1

Framing the symptoms as mold-like biases thinking through the scenario. Contact dermatitis would account for multiple individuals experiencing rash with similar appearance and distributions. The fact that people work in an adjacent building for the same employer imply they use the same cleaning service, same chemicals and identical ventilation. Is this ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible