people moving from the Tanzanian highlands, e.g. Usambara mountains, Kilimandjaro region, to the plains are quite often affected by a disease with the following symptoms:
- onset similar to malaria, but appetite not diminished
- no joint pain, but severe back pain reaching from neck to hip
- severe symptoms for about 1 week, weakness and coughs remain for much longer
- with rest and good nourishment people recover within weeks to months, otherwise may be fatal
- inhabitants of the plains are not affected
Does anybody have information about this disease?
Thank you in advance!