I live in Iowa and I am talking to a person in Idaho (or anyone in a different state), and the person on the other end experiences a sudden illness and needs EMS, what is the best way to get services out to the person you are chatting with (assuming you know their address)?


Answer for the US and Canada:

Call 911 and explain the situation. They will be able to either forward your call or give you a number to call faster than you can find it on your own. Dispatch centers contact each other all the time so they know in advance how to do so.

If that doesn't work for some reason, grab google and type in "[Somewhere] Idaho Police Department" and call them directly. Next attempt: Idaho State Police.

Rest of the world:

Call the local emergency number and do the same. For example, in most of Europe that would be 112.

Source: Me, 15 years of experience in EMS. Can't find a good source to reference.

  • When you say local you mean local to me or local to my friend? – traisjames Feb 28 '16 at 8:34
  • 2
    @traisjames I'd imagine Carey means the emergency number in the part of the world they are in. So for example 112 in their European Union and most other countries in Europe. – YviDe Feb 28 '16 at 11:42
  • 1
    @traisjames I mean the emergency number you would call if you had an emergency, as YviDe said. They will be able to connect you to emergency services where your friend lives faster than you can find it on your own. – Carey Gregory Feb 28 '16 at 16:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.