If I think a mole has changed, or my partner thinks they have noticed a change, what should I do about it? Is there any way of finding out for sure if a mole has changed?

  • Does it have hair growing? Have you seen a doctor about it before?
    – Tim
    Apr 7, 2015 at 10:41
  • 2
    Diagnosis of a specific individual's medical condition is off-topic for Medical Sciences. If you or someone you know is facing the situation described in this question, please see a qualified physician in your area.
    – Shog9
    Apr 21, 2015 at 1:32
  • @Shog9 I'm a bit behind on meta musings, is a generalised question (see edit) ok?
    – Tom Medley
    Apr 21, 2015 at 9:11
  • To me this is, as you said, a "you should see a doctor" question (or at least give a call, he/she'll tell you whether visiting is needed). So you answerd it right and at the same time it should be closed...
    – Shlublu
    Apr 21, 2015 at 9:13
  • 1
    After review of your edit, I voted to leave it closed. Your base question is still "what should I do", and the answer is still - "See a doctor".
    – JohnP
    Apr 21, 2015 at 14:54

1 Answer 1


Get to a doctor or dermatologist straight away

A changing mole is an indicator of possible melanoma. Melanoma spreads very quickly, and mortality rates rise fast if it is left to grow.

Here is some information on what to look for, and potential indicators of melanoma (UK NHS).

Melanomas usually appear as a dark, fast-growing spot where there was not one before, or a pre-existing mole that changes size, shape or colour and bleeds, itches or reddens.

A specialist will be able to do a diagnosis, and advise you on future checks. If they think it could be a melanoma, they will remove the mole and perform a biopsy.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.