What are some tools that can be used to find a finding the exact location of a foreign body object inside someone?

I'm interested in both:

  1. Low-tech tools that almost everyone in the world either [a] has access to or [b] can DIY build fairly trivially and

  2. High-tech tools that only well-funded hospitals have access to

The American Family Physician VOLUME 67, NUMBER 1 published an article in June 2003 titled Splinter Removal, which suggests a few high-tech imaging tools, including X-rays, Ultrasound, Xeroradiographs, CT scans, and MRIs.

But I could not find any reference to low-tech imaging tools to see the foreign body without a very, very expensive machine.

What are some tools that can be used in the field to find the exact location of a foreign body object for removal (eg a splinter buried in someone's foot for weeks/months).

  • See also aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2003/0615/p2557.html Commented Aug 5, 2022 at 8:54
  • 1
    Well, yes, table 3 in the linked page in your comment seems to about cover it. You are perfectly at liberty to provide a self-answer, we encourage self-learning here. It has the advantage that you can award yourself the accepted answer tick and bonus ;) Commented Aug 5, 2022 at 14:13
  • That link does provide everything needed for a good answer. If you're not going to write an answer, I suggest you add the link and a relevant quote from it to your question as prior research. Doing that will result in at least one downvote being removed.
    – Carey Gregory
    Commented Aug 5, 2022 at 19:07
  • I only see high-tech imaging tools in Table 3. Anyway, I added it to the question. Please remove the downvote. Commented Aug 6, 2022 at 8:35
  • The only "low tech" tools available are physical exam, and that's covered in table 2. I don't know what else you imagine might exist.
    – Carey Gregory
    Commented Aug 6, 2022 at 15:30


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.