Finding a cure for the common cold has long been an unattainable holy grail of medicine.
- The common cold is caused by over 200 different strains of viruses (Common cold - Wikipedia).
- The viruses mutate frequently (#Prevention).
- Coronaviruses are one cause of the common cold (#Viruses).
The above facts imply that:
- Finding a vaccination for SARS-Cov-2 (causes COVID-19 disease) is very unlikely.
- Even if there were a vaccination for it, mutations would render it relatively ineffective.
- Acquired immunity will similarly be of little help.
- COVID-19 (or something like it) will eventually become as prevalent as the common cold.
Once this transition period is over, is there any reason to believe that COVID-19 won't have become a common and recurrent disease (similar to the common cold) that will simply be an inevitable danger, especially for the elderly and immune compromised?