I am from IT domain and would like to seek some help on certain medicine related questions
I would like to know how does Diabetic specialist hospital/clinic work for Diabetic patients when compared to any other non-specialist hospitals (for treating diabetic patients)
1) Why do people visit specialist clinic? What is special here? Isn't it because primary care physician is not experienced enough in treating diabetes?
2) It's not necessary/mandatory for a patient to visit diabetes specialist clinic when he could get the treatment from any primary care physician. Am I right?
3) Let's say we have patient
A who has been diagnosed for diabetes and been referred to a diabetes specialist clinic by his primary care physician. So Am I right to understand that patient
A will keep visiting diabetes specialist clinic only for complications related to Diabetes like blindness, cataract, nephropathy etc. or can he visit for anything (medical condition or whatever) unrelated to diabetes?
4) Let's say we have a database of patients from diabetes specialist clinic. This database will only contain info about their visits to diabetes specialist clinic, complications diagnosed for diabetic patients,Drugs prescribed for diabetes complications etc.
5) For example, if I look at the database for T2DM and T1DM drugs (drugs for T2/t1 + associated complications), does it mean all patients (100%) who visited the diabetes specialist clinic will have this info? Because they all are diabetic patients? They ought to have these drugs. Can a patient be treated without prescribing drugs?
6) Is it possible that patients visit diabetes specialist clinic but may not have the T1/T2 drugs? But they are prescribed other drugs unrelated to T1DM and T2DM?
If yes, for what sort of conditions do they get prescribed for? Is it possible that diabetic patients contain more than 80% of NOT T1 and T2 drugs.
Can you help me with this?