At my place of work as a student trainee, my attention was called to a patient who has suffered badly from secondary diseases.
- He has a Body Mass Index of 42, obese.
- He also suffers from Type 1 Diabetes (Insulin dependent)
- His blood vessel walls have become narrow, causing an increase in blood pressure (Hypertension)
- He has Chronic Kidney diseases: bowman capsules are not able to filter his blood properly because of the pressure.
Can this Patient be helped by a diet? We would have to place him on:
- little carbohydrates because of his obese stature and diabetes
- low salt because he is hypertensive
- low protein because of his Kidney disease
Yet what's left to eat if valid nutrients are not to be put up for consumption?