I have a dry cough. It's persisting from last few months ( more than 3 months). There is no chest pain. Slight cold environment causes me urge to cough, irritation happens inside the chest. I have consulted a ENT(ears, nose, and throat) doctor, but he doesn't seem to guide me well. He asked me to take an antibiotic and cough syrup for all this time, but I don't see any relief. What kind of doctor or physician do I need to consult for my case?

  • 1
    Hi there, and welcome to health.SE! I modified your question because we can't really provide suggestions about dealing with the cough (that would be giving personal medical advice and we probably don't have enough information), so instead I reworded it to ask what kind of help you should look for. If you have any other questions, maybe try asking in a separate post?
    – Dave Liu
    Commented Feb 15, 2016 at 23:46

1 Answer 1


Dry cough is most often non-inflammatory. If you had a flu or influenza prior to the beginning of the symptoms, then you might suffer from something post-viral. It is usually self-limiting. (Wikipedia)

The fact that cold air provokes your symptoms might be indicative of asthma. As such, you may need to see a pulmonary specialist. Certainly he/she run some basic tests like a chest x-ray for a starter. Spirometry is also the routine test to be performed.

  • thanks for passing such an invaluable informations. I am new to this portal so sorry if the question was bit off. Thank you :)
    – shrish
    Commented Jul 31, 2015 at 4:10
  • seems like I had a allergic cough, I consulted with pulmonary specialist and he prescribed me cetirizine tablets to 30 days. I am already seeing some positive effects. :) thanks much for your help
    – shrish
    Commented Aug 4, 2015 at 5:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.