Google will not help get me to a definitive answer based on my search terms. What is the proper medical term for the crust that forms when blood coagulates? Also, is it different for different parts of the body or internal vs. external?

  • 1
    Ha was just writing this as you updated that. – Mike-DHSc Sep 14 '17 at 19:42

You'll likely get a response that "eschar" means "scab". This is incorrect.

Understanding Why the Term "Eschar" is Incorrect

What differentiates this term? Factors such as the dermal layer involved (location) and wound type it is associated with. "Eschar" is a medical term that describes necrotic (dead) tissue found within a full-thickness wound.

"Sanguineous Crust" would be a precise medical term for "scab".

  • 1
    Is "Sanguineous Crust" still in active use in the medical community? I found search hits for that term in references to old medical terms and in an excerpt from a medical text published in 1845. – statueuphemism Sep 14 '17 at 20:06
  • 2
    Very typically it is simply written by as "crust" or "scab". As most of these words are of greek / latin origin it is very common that you'll see it referenced as an "old" medical term. Simply put in a patients chart you would still very commonly see "scab", however "Sanguineous Crust" is the most precise term. – Mike-DHSc Sep 14 '17 at 20:08
  • 1
    Is this for a class - or what is the exact need for this information? In a practical sense the term scab is 1. short (we love short words, abbreviations lol) 2. widely understood. Adding "Sanguineous" to the word makes this overly complex. As reimbursement is decided by people much less versed in medical terminology, you'd actually be doing them a disservice. They will not likely know what the long overly complex term "Sanguineous Crust" means – Mike-DHSc Sep 14 '17 at 20:18
  • 1
    I asked this same question in med school because it sounds so colloquial. Sanguinous crust is correct. Or just crust. But internal doesn't make as much sense, so I'm not sure what you're defining as scab? – DoctorWhom Sep 15 '17 at 2:28
  • 2
    @Mike-DHSc Ah yes wound is the correct term for the tissue that is damaged/healing at the site of injury (or intentional like in surgery). On the inside the same process of coagulated blood might be called a hematoma, collection of coagulated blood; It happens a little differently inside but is the same general coagulation process. – DoctorWhom Sep 15 '17 at 6:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.