I've had various periods of extended back pain that chiropractors can relieve by "adjusting" (a.k.a. "cracking") my spine in just a moment, providing immediate and long-term relief from pain sometimes in a single visit.

I've asked massage therapists if they can do that, and they decline.

When I see an MD for the exact same problem they may prescribe anti-inflammatories and seem more concerned with whether it's worth sending me to get an MRI, or whether I should just "give it time."

Are there any other professionals that will do the spinal adjustments for which chiropractors are known? If not, why?

  • providing immediate and permanent relief from pain -- It doesn't sound very permanent if it keeps recurring. – Carey Gregory Jun 30 '17 at 14:42
  • @CareyGregory - The only truly permanent relief from pain is death. If I've had the same back pain for weeks, and then after "relief" I go months or years without that pain, I consider that a "permanent" fix. The fact that my back (and, indeed, my whole body) is still susceptible to injury does not mean that a particular injury was not healed. – Lysander Jun 30 '17 at 16:35
  • 2
    I'd suggest calling it "long-term" since permanent doesn't mean months or years; it means forever. Not a criticism, just a suggestion. – Carey Gregory Jun 30 '17 at 18:22
  • @CareyGregory - OK, made that change. But it might be important for me to clarify: "Back pain" is a very broad symptom, and "the back" is a very large and complex system. I've seen chiropractors for "back pain" three times in my life. I don't have evidence that in each case it was the same pathology causing the pain. If each time they said something like, "Oh, your L4 vertebrae is out of line," then I might suggest it was a recurring injury. But I don't remember any such details. – Lysander Jul 2 '17 at 16:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.