I had chicken pox when I was ten and I have a deep scar in my forehead due to it. I am now 25 and I will like to remove this scar if possible.

I am wondering, what branch of medicine will this fall under? Will it be a dermatologist - I am not familiar with their line of work?


1 Answer 1


WebMD lists the following three types of scars:

  1. Keloid Scars:
    These scars are the result of an overly aggressive healing process. They extend beyond the original injury. Over time, a keloid scar may hamper movement. Treatments include surgery to remove the scar, steroid injections, or silicone sheets to flatten the scar. Smaller keloids can be treated using cryotherapy (freezing therapy using liquid nitrogen). You can also prevent keloid formation by using pressure treatment or gel pads with silicone when you are injured. Keloid scars are most common among people with dark skin.

  2. Contracture Scars:
    If your skin has been burned, you may have a contracture scar. These scars tighten skin, which can impair your ability to move. Contracture scars may also go deeper, affecting muscles and nerves.

  3. Hypertrophic Scars:
    These are raised, red scars that are similar to keloids but do not go beyond the boundary of the injury. Treatments include injections of steroids to reduce inflammation or silicone sheets, which flatten the scar.

(Emphasis mine, I also omitted acne scars on purpose.)

You seem to either have scars of type I or III. The first step to take would indeed be to talk to a dermatologist. They will diagnose the scar and possible removal options.

Later on, you might be lead to visit a cosmetic surgeon for the scar removal, or there will be steroid injections.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.