1

I occasionally come across the idea that eating too many of a particular nut or other food substance will give you an allergy to it later. An example might be:

http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/can-allergy-develop-from-eating-too-many-peanuts

Is there any evidence for this?

-3

Yes, it is called "sensitization" and is a common effect that you can see in many different contexts.

For example, I was immune to poison ivy for most of my life. Then one day I cleared a large area that had poison ivy in it and I got heavily exposed to it and this caused me to have a severe reaction. Now, I can get poison ivy even if I have a relatively minor exposure. This effect is called being "sensitized" to the allergen.

Sensitization typically occurs when the person gets a large, shocking dose of whatever it is, but I know of no way to predict under what circumstances it might occur.

By the way, peanuts are not nuts. Peanuts are legumes. The allergy you are referring to is an allergy to legumes, not nuts.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.