Alcoholics are normally addicted to ethanol, but I was wondering, as an alcoholic (recovering), whether it is actually a broader addiction to the super-class of all alcohols. I know that methanol is sometimes used to adulterate liquor, and causes similar intoxication, but with severe toxicity. It is also sometimes used by desperate winos as a long term, cheaper, and more widely available substitute. A store doesn't need a license to sell methanol or denatured ethanol.
I'm asking because I want to try an develop a test for use by alcoholics, to see if food or drink contains any alcohol, or how much, and I would either have to develop the test for any type of alcohol at all, or only the commonly drunk ones. E.g. should it include, say, rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol, often available also as a cleaning agent, which is quite toxic with a lethal dose being only eight ounces.