3
votes

Does the "black" ink of a ballpoint pen affect my health in any way, especially if it's applied in the same general area over a larger period of time?

2
votes

Writing ink poisoning occurs when someone swallows ink found in writing instruments (pens).

And

The primary concern with writing on skin with permanent ink is that permanent ink may contain xylene. Xylene is a toxic substance, though toxicity is normally linked to inhalation.

People can cause damage to their skin however, by cutting the skin and then writing on skin with a permanent marker.

  • I can find no evidence of a greater problem over time, unless you were referring to developing a allergy which is possible, but I found no evidence to support that statement.

Additional Info

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.